Skip to main content

With a career as a tank truck driver, you’ll continue to serve your country as part of an elite team. To begin your tank truck career, take the following steps:


Obtain your CDL

Do your CDL prep work:

Obtain a copy of your state’s CDL manual, and decide what kind of vehicle you’ll be driving and which of the three classes of CDLs you will need.

Get your commercial learner’s permit (CLP):

This permit authorizes you to practice with a qualified CDL holder next to you. 

Complete entry-level driver training

with a registered training provider. 

Obtain your CDL:

You must pass the three parts of the Skills Test: the Vehicle Inspection Test, the Basic Controls Test and the Road Test. 


Additional certifications and training


The Transportation Worker Identification Credential may be needed if you work on port property, and most employers will cover the application cost. Learn more about the TWIC.

HME: *

The Hazardous Materials Endorsement Threat Assessment Program may be needed if a role requires hauling hazardous material, and most employers will cover the application cost. Learn more about the HME.

Tanker endorsement:

This additional certification allows drivers to haul liquid and gas bulk loads. 

Company and equipment training: 

You’ll need to meet the requirements of the employer/company you want to work for. Some tanker companies have specific experience criteria and waiver criteria. Your company will provide specific training on trailers, tractors, and other related equipment needed for your role.